The Intermediate grade levels use the Go Math! curriculum as well as supplemental resources to support learning. All grade levels also use the Common Core State Standards to guide teaching and learning. We are focused on nurturing a growth mindset in math, making sense of problems, and being able to support answers with reasoning. Below is a brief overview of the topics covered in grade level.
- Multiplication and Division
- "Math Facts/Families"
- Inverse Relationship (setting the stage for Algebra!)
- Problem solving- finding and interpreting an answer in context
- Multi-Digit Whole Numbers
- Modeling on a number line
- Equivalent Fractions
- Comparing Fractions
- Measurement: Area, Perimeter, Mass, Capacity, Time
- Geometry: Logical Reasoning and shape attributes
- Fluency with multi-digit addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Developing an understanding of fraction equivalence, fractional values and relationships, addition and subtraction of fractions with like denominators, and multiplication of fractions by whole numbers
- Understanding that geometric figures can be analyzed and classified based on their properties, such as having parallel sides, perpendicular sides, particular angle measures, and symmetry
- Determining angle measures and types of angles within polygons
- Converting units of measurement within the customary and metric system
- Applying problem solving strategies to answer problems across all topic areas
- Developing fluency with addition and subtraction of fractions, developing understanding of the multiplication of fractions and of division of fractions in limited cases (unit fractions divided by whole numbers and whole numbers divided by unit fractions)
- Extending division to 2-digit divisors, integrating decimal fractions into the place value system and developing understanding of operations with decimals to hundredths, and developing fluency with whole number and decimal operations.
- Developing understanding of volume.
- Applying problem solving to geometry concepts