PE & Wellness
At Hamilton Mr. Skweres and Mr. Ransdell both stress the importance of sportsmanship and working well together in teams/groups. Find it very valuable for all students to be healthy and active.
This year PE will be offered once a week for an hour. We are hoping to go back to daily PE next year. The kids participate in a wide variety of Fitness Activities. We are focusing on Fitness Testing(PACER, Push-Ups, Curl-Ups and Sit-N-Reach) at Beginning of the year. Plan on doing this three times during the school year.
PE Grading Scale:
- Health/Wellness(50%): Activities with a health enhancing level of fitness involved. Students will be graded on Assessments(Fitness Day, Unit Exams, etc.), Participation and Sports Focused Skills. We do not grade on ability. Come in with a motivated and positive attitude.
- Sportsmanship(25%): Works well in Groups/Teams. We both believe Good Sportsmanship is huge in Physical Education.
- Warm-Up/Preparedness(25%): Comes to class ready to work and with Gym Shoes. Completes the entire warm-up, stretch and does not waste time messing around.
About our PE Program:
All classes will see Mr. Skweres and Mr. Ransdell for PE every week. Students participate in a wide variety of activities during PE classes in order to learn and practice skills associated with different units of instruction throughout the year. These units include: soccer, floor hockey, basketball, jump rope, throwing and catching, kicking, volleyball, fitness, fitness and wiffle ball. We will be using the PE Specialist as our Curriculum at Hamilton.
- Steve Skweres teaches Physical Education and has been teaching at Hamilton since 2008 and teaching in CPS since 2005. Steve received his Type 75 in Administration at National Louis University in 2007. He also teaches Drivers Education after school at Amundsen High School. Mr. Skweres is a graduate from Western Illinois University, where he received a Physical Education Degree. He also coaches 5/6 and 7/8 Flag Football. He is a strong believer that sports play a vital role for kids in developing skills of teamwork and fair play. When Steve is not teaching he enjoys hanging out with friends, going to sporting events, and being active. You can reach him at [email protected]
- Mr. Ransdell is from the Northwestern Chicago suburbs. He studied at the University of Northern Illinois University in the Physical Education department. His love for all things sports and teaching them to others, is what drives him in this field. This will be Mr. Ransdell’s 6th year at Hamilton and he is looking forward to another great year being a Patriot. You can reach him at [email protected]
Here is what your kids will be doing in Physical Education at Hamilton to begin the School Year.
- Locomotor movements
- Throwing, Catching and Underhand Toss
- Fitness Activities
- Hula Hoops
- Understanding basic PE rules and instruction.
- Locomotor Movements and Fitness Testing
- Students will be working on Movement Based and Activities and going over all beginning on the school year procedures.
- They will also be participating in Fitness Testing, so they are all prepared to take it once they are in 3rd Grade.
- Throwing and Catching
- Team Building
- Flag Football Drills and Fitness Testing
- Students will be working on Throwing, Catching, Flag Pulling Drills and Rules/Understanding Game Play
- They will also be participating in the PACER, Sit-Ups and Curl-Up Test
- Team Building
- Throwing and Catching
- Tchoukball: It's an indoor sport. Physical contact is prohibited, and defenders may not attempt to intercept the attacking team's passes. Players may take three steps with the ball, hold the ball for a maximum of three seconds, and teams may not pass the ball more than three times before shooting at the frame.
- Grades are put in for PE every Friday.
Questions? Let us know.
Mr. Skweres and Mr. Ransdell